Sunday, January 20, 2008

Woo-Hoo!!! Three Successful Dinners

I am rather proud of myself. I made three successful dinners this week, two of which were from new recipes.

Friday

I made chickpea curry with brown rice and a side of spinach. I wound up stirring the spinach into the curry and it was quite good. Now I just need to figure out how to get the curry smell out of my wooden spoon.

Saturday

I made tofu panang curry. It's an old favorite. However, I am quite certain that the way I make it breaks all kinds of rules. Basically, I fry the tofu in a little bit of oil until golden brown, then I stir fry green and red peppers and white onion for a bit. I make the sauce separately; whisking together one can of coconut milk, two tablespoons of curry paste, two tablespoons of fish sauce, and two tablespoons of brown sugar in a separate bowl. Then I pour the sauce into the pan and simmer for a while. Toward the end I add fresh thai basil (although we didn't have any this time). I first started making this dish in a very tiny kitchen and mixing the sauce separately seemed neater and I've never considered doing it any other way although I might eventually.

Sunday

I made grilled smoky tempeh, a recipe from Veganomicon with spicy sweet potatoes on the side. Liquid smoke. It's my new best friend.


Also, I am very excited. Today we purchased a 7 qt. dutch oven by Outset. I am very excited to use it, especially for the no-knead bread recipe that Mavis sent to me.

No comments: