Monday, July 20, 2009

A Beef With Me, A Beef With You: Part I (Flatiron Steak)

I once told my mother that when I started eating meat again I would not limit myself to poultry and fish, that I would eagerly start consuming beef and pork. When I thought about the things I missed as a vegetarian, it was not turkey sandwiches and chicken salad, but rather, pork ribs and filet mignon. Needless to say, even though I am an avid carnivore, I do not cook a lot of pork and beef. Indeed, I only have one semi-regular pork recipe (the roast pork loin from Everyday Food). Otherwise, as far as non-poultry dishes go, I've made lamb in the form of chops and kabobs and was complimented both times.

Some friends of ours gave us some beef from their meat CSA and it's been sitting in my freezer for a few weeks now. I took inventory and now need recipes and cooking techniques for Flatiron Steak, Beef Loin Porterhouse, and Beef Rib Eye.

Today we begin with Flat Iron Steak--a cursory glance over google indicates that this cut is one of the most recipe-oriented. I found the following, which look interesting:

Perfect Flatiron Steaks from allrecipes.com

Flatiron Steak with Red Wine Sauce from foodnetwork.com (One of Giada's recipes, I am willing to put aside my feelings to try it although I can't imagine it's the only red wine steak recipe out there.)

And see, here is another for Flatiron Steaks Marinated in Red Wine from allrecipes.com.

Foodandwine.com has two "fast" recipes which sound lovely, Chipotle-Marinated Flatiron Steak with Avocado-Corn Relish and Flatiron Steak Salad with Thai Dressing.

And finally, from epicurious.com, Grilled Flatiron Steak with Chimichurri Sauce.

Of these, I think the ones from the foodandwine.com are the ones I will go with. They look easy enough and appropriate for quick summertime cooking. Ideally, I would serve ice-cream with them for dessert but that's not going to happen until next summer.

No comments: