Sunday, July 19, 2009

Hey. What's kickin', Basil?

Tonight I made my own pesto for the first time ever. I found a recipe but was too lazy to print it out so I just made it up as I went a long, which is probably for the best. I used about two cups of fresh basil from the garden, six cloves of garlic, a handful (and then some) of pine nuts, salt, pepper, and olive oil. The Lad has a bit of reflux and I am not eating dairy so this was pesto sans Parmesan. Andy described it as "spicy" when he first tried it. It definitely had some kick and I am pleased with the results. I froze half and used the other half to make white bean pesto pasta with fast roasted zucchini and tomatoes. It was very good and I would definitely make this again. I would also consider adding different vegetables such as asparagus and red peppers. One could also replace the pasta with roasted potatoes and add green beans, a variation on this, a recipe from one of my favorite cookbooks, Everyday Food: Great Food Fast.

No comments: